Fourth Trimester Sleep with Baby Massage 101
Ah any new parents' favorite question..."is the baby sleeping through the night?"
The sleepless nights that come with having a baby are no joke. Warming a bottle at 3 AM, 4 AM diaper changes, trying to nurse little one every hour like clockwork …it’s not for the faint of heart. And after what feels like an endless stretch of sleepless nights, you’re asking yourself and anyone who will listen “when will my baby finally sleep through the night?”
During the early months, even getting a 4 to 5 hour stretch of sleep will feel like sleeping through the night. While the 8-hour stretch of sleep typically does not happen until closer to 6-9 months old for most babies (and their parents).
We love introducing baby massage right from the beginning to create a healthy bedtime routine and massage can get your newborn to sleep better, improve his health, and even help you bond with your new baby.
BABY MASSAGE 101
Set yourself (and baby) up for success with a cozy atmosphere:
- A comfortable flat surface covered by a blanket or a mat
- A small amount of Kissable Skin Lotion or BB Beauty oil
- A soft towel or blanket to cover your baby
- A pacifier, if it's calming for your little one
- Dim the lights
1. Lay your baby comfortably on her tummy, with her head gently turned to one side.
3. Start by gently stroking from his forehead over the top of his head, then down to the nape of his neck.
4. Stroke across each shoulder from the center of the neck out to the arm, one side at a time.
5. From the top of your baby's back, massage down to his hips with both hands, being careful to avoid the spine.
6. Run the pads of your fingers down the back of your baby's legs at the same time, then go back up again.
7. Repeat the same stroking motion on the back of your baby's arms.
8. Turn your baby over onto his back. Repeat the down-and-up strokes on his chest and the front of his arms and legs.